The Many Wonderful Uses of Thyme
Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme… Just as you get ready for Thanksgiving and the Holidays, chances are you are stocking up on spices and seasonings for your favorite recipes, but there is one spice that stands out for its many benefits
One such herb, thyme, besides making the turkey and stuffing more tasty, has other benefits many folks may not know about! Thymol, as it is referred to technically, is an oil based compound derived from wild flowers sourced locally across North America. It is a popular herb in the American kitchen. But, surprising, beyond its use for cooking, it has a less well-known reputation as a wonderful cleaner as well as a medicinal aid. It was commonly used by the Ancient Egyptians, Native Americans and others for its healing properties. In seeking more natural and holistic formulations, thymol has become a popular ingredient used as a natural aid in cleaning and healing.
Thyme Oil Uses
Thyme is a widely used herb in cooking, because of its minty flavor. However, the thyme essence is not dominating and so doesn’t overpower the other flavors of a dish. Thus, thyme lends the dish a warm and aromatic flavor, without making it overbearing. But there are more to the uses of thyme than simply as a flavoring agent. The thyme oil extracted from the herb has excellent medicinal properties. Before the discovery of antibiotics, this oil was used to disinfect and clean wounds. It is rich in antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiseptic properties. This makes thyme oil a potent remedy for treating any infections and inflammations, as the main component of thyme oil is the antiseptic thymol. As such, thyme oil is an active ingredient in many creams, mouthwash and hand sanitizers. Thyme oil also contains significant amount of calcium, manganese, iron and vitamin K.
Another surprising use today, The PERDUE® brand had done some commercials focusing on the role played by herbs in raising healthy chickens without relying on antibiotics. The commercials, airing nationally, star Perdue Chairman Jim Perdue, a Perdue flock specialist and a Perdue nutritionist, along with a sprig of thyme, a bunch of oregano and a few hundred chickens. Oregano and thyme and are used to raise chickens as an alternative to antibiotics. See https://youtu.be/FSD0eBENU2g h
Health Benefits Of Thyme Oil
- Thyme oil is diuretic and so it helps in the elimination of toxins by increasing the urination. Therefore, thyme oil reduces the concentration of uric acid in the blood. At the same time it is a stimulant and so, enhances blood circulation. These make thyme oil a very good remedy option for treating rheumatism, arthritis and gout.
- Thyme oil can be used to protect and heal wounds against infections, as this oil has very good antiseptic properties.
- Thyme oil can be used as an anti-spasmodic remedy. Spasms in the respiratory tracts, nerves, muscles, intestines and other organs causes coughs, convulsions, epileptic or hysteric attacks, cramps and muscular, abdominal and intestinal aches. Using thyme oil can greatly reduce the effects of spasms.
- Thyme oil can be used to inhibit the growth of bacteria both inside and outside the body. Thus, bacterial infections in wounds, genitals, intestines and respiratory system can be cured by using thyme oil.
- Thyme oil is very effective in boosting the health of the heart. It keeps the valves in good functioning. It also relaxes the arteries and veins, thus, reducing the blood pressure. Thyme oil also protects the heart from excessive stress and strengthens the cardiac muscles. Because of its tonic properties, it also tones up the heart. Thus, thyme oil can be used for the overall well being of the heart.
- Mosquitoes, lice, fleas and other parasites can be kept away from the body by using thyme oil. It can also be used to kill various types of insects and pests like moths, bed bugs, beetles and the like that plagues foods and clothes.
- In women, thyme oil can be used to treat painful menstruation, irregular periods and untimely menopause. Since it stimulates the production of estrogen, it can delay menopause and provide relief against various symptoms associated with menstruation like abdominal pain, nausea, fatigue, low blood pressure and depression.
- Scars and other blemishes in the body can be removed permanently using thyme oil. Marks caused by acne, pox, measles, sores and surgery can be effectively removed by using thyme oil. This makes thyme oil an attractive cosmetic product.
- With the trend in sourcing environmentally safer products, there is renewed interest particularly because thymol has so many good uses. And, thankfully it is plentiful. Furthermore, the advances in chemistry and technology make it easier to bring to market. And in many cases, the newer formulas outperform the older, less environmentally friendly ones.
- For the purposes of specialized cleaning such as carpets, upholstery and restoration, thymol, formulated to a non-indigestible agent, is used namely to be applied as a disinfectant and as a deodorizer.Should you prefer this natural alternative, it is suggested that you inquire whether the company you hire uses or can obtain it to use on your project. Should you want to source it yourself it is suggested that you look on line, where you can find it for purchase.So whether it is put in to creams, mouthwashes, lotions, hand sanitizers, used as a disinfectant, or to boost cleaning, it is a real home run that effectively solves many home, health, bath and body needs. When looking for environmentally safe products, consumers can place confidence in products using thymol knowing it will do the job right and not be harmful if combined with other natural beneficial ingredients.